- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 3 People
- Calories: 1860 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 342.51 g
- Cholesterol Content: 61 mg
- Fat Content: 37.3 g
- Fiber Content: 26 g
- Protein Content: 43.32 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17.427 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 2662 mg
- Sugar Content: 19.96 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.933 g
Dal Khichdi or Toor dal khichdi is a delicious khichdi recipe from the Gujarat region. Toor dal khichdi is a mixture of toor dal and rice cooked with spices, ghee, tomato, and onion. Dal khichdi is an easy and quick recipe to try out when you are hungry and want to have some delicious and quick food. It is nutritious, wholesome, easy to digest, and comforting meal. It is easy to digest and healthy food which you can make any time. You can make it spicy with vegetables or just plain khichdi with tempering of ghee and mustard seeds. Here is the easy step by step dal khichdi recipe to try at home. Try it today!!
Ingredients of Dal Khichdi Recipe
- Split pigeon peas - 100 gm
- Rice - 2 Cups
- Water - 4 Cups
- Turmeric powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Ghee - 3 Tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 1 1/2 Teaspoon
- Asafetida (Hing) - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garlic - 1 Teaspoon
- Ginger - 1 Teaspoon
- Chopped green chili - 1 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Dry fenugreek leaves - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander leaves - 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Dry red chili - 1
- Onion - 1 Cup
- Tomato - 1 Cup
How to Make Dal Khichdi
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, add split pigeon peas, rice, and water and soak it for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Now in a pressure cooker, add the soaked rice, split pigeon peas, water, turmeric powder, and salt and cover it with lid.
Step 3: Cook it till you hear 2-3 whistles.
Step 4: Once done, open the lid and keep it aside.
Step 5: Now in a pot, heat two tablespoons of ghee and then add cumin seeds and stir it well.
Step 6: Then add asafoetida, chopped garlic, ginger, green chili and saute it for 2 minutes.
Step 7: Then add onions, tomato and again saute them for 2-3 minutes.
Step 8: Then add red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala and mix it and cook it well for 5 minutes. Once it's cooked well, add the previously cooked khichdi to this mixture and mix it well.
Step 9: Now add coriander leaves, dry fenugreek to the khichdi and cook for 5 minutes.
Step 10: Delicious khichdi is ready to serve.
Step 11: To serve the khichdi, add one tablespoon ghee on the khichdi and serve it hot with buttermilk or curd and papad.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Toor dal (split pigeon peas) – Check Price
- Basmati rice – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Ginger – Check Price
- Ghee – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Cumin powder – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Garlic – Check Price
- Green chili – Check Price
- Tomatoes – Check Price
- Coriander powder – Check Price
- Garam masala – Check Price
- Fenugreek seeds – Check Price
- Dry red chilies – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price