- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 2 People
- Calories: 2111 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 242.38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 690 mg
- Fat Content: 98.93 g
- Fiber Content: 20.5 g
- Protein Content: 68.8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 29.002 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 5891 mg
- Sugar Content: 19.1 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.243 g
Saag Naan, a delicious Indian bread stuffed with saag paneer. Naan is a very popular oven-baked flatbread. It is a cuisine of west, central and south Asia. Plain naan is delicious, but the stuffed naan with saag and paneer is incredibly delicious and delightful.
This naan recipe is a tasty twist to naan stuffed with spicy and delightful saag paneer. It can serve plain, or you can have it with curd or gravy based vegetable dish. Here is the recipe for yummy saag naan. Enjoy!
Ingredients of Saag Naan Recipe
- For The Naan
- All-purpose flour - 2 Cups
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Oil - 4 Teaspoons
- Warm water - ½ Cup
- Rapid rise yeast - 1 Teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 Teaspoon
- Beaten egg - 1
- Yogurt - 2 Tablespoons
- Finely chopped garlic (optional) - 3 Tablespoons
- Kalongi /nigella seeds (optional) - 2 Tablespoons
- Butter - 3 Tablespoons
- Additional all purpose flour for rolling & dusting
- For The Saag Paneer
- Roughly chopped spinach, rinsed - 1 Bunch
- Cottage cheese, chopped in small cubes - 100 gm
- Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Finely chopped onion - ½ Cup
- Finely chopped tomato - ½ Cup
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 Tablespoon
- Garam masala - 1 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Yogurt - 3 Tablespoons
How to Make Saag Naan
To Make Naan Dough
Step 1: In a bowl, add yeast and sugar to warm water and mix well cover and set aside for about 5-7 minutes or until foamy.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the flour, oil, and salt. Mix them until there are no lumps.
Step 3: When yeast mixture becomes foamy, add yogurt and beaten egg. Whisk until combined well.
Step 4: Add this mixture to flour a little at a time and knead into the soft and smooth dough ball.
Step 5: Drizzle a few drops of oil over the dough and cover the dough with the oil.
Step 6: Cover the ball and set aside in a warm place for an hour.
To Make The Saag Paneer
Step 1: In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
Step 2: Once oil heated, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Then add chopped onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes or until tender.
Step 3: Then add chopped tomatoes, and ginger-garlic paste then sauté them till the tomatoes become tender and raw aroma of ginger-garlic paste goes away.
Step 4: Add roughly chopped spinach, stir well and cook it till the spinach becomes soft and blanched. It will take a couple of minutes.
Step 5: Then after adding red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well.
Step 6: Now, add yogurt and stir well. Also, add cottage cheese cubes and mix well. Cook it for a minute and remove from the heat. Allow it to cool.
To Make Stuffed Saag Naan
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 288° C (550° F).
Step 2: Once the dough has risen, lightly oil hands and punched down the dough and knead. Dust with additional flour if needed.
Step 3: Divide the dough into five equal-sized small balls.
Step 4: On a flat surface, dust some flour and roll each ball into a round naan on that surface.
Step 5: Also Divide the paneer saag into five equal portions. Spoon one part on the bottom half of the naan, in a semi-circle shape, leaving about half an inch from the edges.
Step 6: Now, fold the top half of the naan over the stuffing and press gently down the side, so we have a stuffed naan.
Step 7: Similarly, prepare other parts of naan.
Step 8: Grease the baking tray lightly with the oil and place 2-3 naans at a time on the plate. Top these naans with some chopped garlic and kalonji. Gently press these down on each naan.
Step 9: Place this baking tray in the oven and bake this naan for about 7-8 minutes, or until the naans rise with a beautiful golden hue.
Step 10: Remove those naans from the tray, grease them with butter and enjoy hot.
Check Price for Ingredients
- All purpose flour – Check Price
- Oil – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Rapid rise yeast – Check Price
- Eggs – Check Price
- Sugar – Check Price
- Yogurt – Check Price
- Garlic – Check Price
- Nigella seeds (kalonji) – Check Price
- Butter – Check Price
- Spinach – Check Price
- Cottage cheese (paneer) – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Tomatoes – Check Price
- Garam masala – Check Price
- Ginger garlic paste – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Coriander powder – Check Price