- Yield: 2
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 3 People
- Calories: 1257 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 209.64 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 60.77 g
- Fiber Content: 130.1 g
- Protein Content: 52.59 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6.044 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 134 mg
- Sugar Content: 10.68 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.083 g
Sambar powder is a must-have spice in a South Indian style Sambar which is made by grinding & mixing different Indian spices like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, red chilies, turmeric powder, cinnamon, chana dal, etc. You can easily find a lot of instant sambar powders on the market, but you can quickly make your sambar powder whenever you are preparing to cook sambar. You can also make it in advance and store it in an air-tight container and can use as desired. Let’s see how to make sambar powder at home.
Ingredients of Sambar Powder Recipe
- Pigeon peas (tuvar/arhar dal) - ½ Cup
- Husked Bengal gram (chana Dal) - ½ Cup
- Husked black gram (urad dal) - ¼ Cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ Cup
- Black peppercorns - 2 Tablespoons
- Fenugreek seeds (methi) - 2 Tablespoons
- Coriander seeds - 2 ½ Cups
- Curry leaves - ½ Cup
- Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Dried red chilies - 2 ½ Cups
- Turmeric powder - 2 Tablespoons
How to Make Sambar Powder
Step 1: In a dry frying pan roast all the ingredients separately, expect oil, chillies and turmeric powder, over a MODERATE heat.
Step 2: Tossing it gently for a few moments. Roast dals till golden and spices and curry leaves till fragrant.
Step 3: Now, add oil to the same pan and fry chilies, tossing gently, till fragrant.
Step 4: Now, let it cool and combine all ingredients including turmeric powder and grind to a fine powder.
Step 5: Store in an airtight container and use it as required.