- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 People
- Calories: 1105 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 172.12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 35.97 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 24.04 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5.532 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 2463 mg
- Sugar Content: 21.49 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.147 g
Patra or Patarveliya is a famous snacks recipe from Gujarat. It is made from colocasia (arbi) leaves, with spicy and tangy gram flour (Besan) mixture spread and stacked upon each other and rolled in a particular way to form a pinwheel and then steamed. Then it is tempered with sesame seeds and grated coconut. Patra can be served all alone, or it can serve as a side dish in Gujarati thali. Here is the complete recipe for how to make delicious patra at home.
Ingredients of Patra Recipe
- Colocasia (arbi) leaves - 12
- Gram (besan) flour - 1 ½ cups
- Ginger paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Green chilly paste - 1 Teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 2 Teaspoons
- Cumin powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Crushed Sesame seeds - 2 Teaspoons
- Tamarind pulp - 2 Tablespoons
- Grated Jaggery - 2 Tablespoons
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Fresh Coriander leaves
- Asafoetida (hing) - ½ Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Sesame seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Scarped Coconut - 2 Tablespoons
How to Make Patra
Step 1: Add required water into the steamer and let it boil.
Step 2: Now trim the stems of the colocasia (arbi) leaves.
Step 3: Now in a bowl and add all the ingredients and sufficient water and make a thick paste of it.
Step 4: Apply this paste all over the colocasia (arbi) leaf and place another leaf over on this leaf.
Step 5: After applying the besan paste fold the sides of the leaf and tightly roll it and place the rolls on a perforated plate then keep it in the steamer and steam it till it’s cooked thoroughly.
Step 6: Once it’s ready, take the rolls out from the steamer and let them cool then slice the rolls into the round shape.
Step 7: Now, in a frying pan, heat oil and add asafetida (Hing), mustard seeds and sesame seeds, when they start to splutter, add the Patra slices and toss it and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
Step 8: The delicious patra is ready. Serve it hot with scraped coconut and coriander leaves.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Colocasia leaves (arbi leaves) – Check Price
- Besan (Chickpea Flour) – Check Price
- Ginger paste – Check Price
- Chili paste – Check Price
- Sesame seeds – Check Price
- Tamarind – Check Price
- Jaggery – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Mustard seeds – Check Price
- Shredded coconut – Check Price