- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 People
- Calories: 446 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 89.97 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 14.55 g
- Fiber Content: 18.1 g
- Protein Content: 22.71 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.411 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 2625 mg
- Sugar Content: 17.53 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.049 g
Upma, A traditional south Indian recipe made with semolina. Which I have tried with oats instead of using semolina and make healthy and filling breakfast named Oats Upma.
Making this upma at home is easy if you get the oats and water ratio correct. If more water is added, then it gets loose and sticky, and if less water is added, then upma gets dry. So the quantity of water depends on the quantity of oats. But below mentioned proportion will work well for you, and you might need 2-3 tablespoons more or less. It is usually served with spicy chutney. But if you like, you can have it with a cup of tea or coffee.
Ingredients of Oats Upma Recipe
- Rolled oats - 2 Cups
- Water - 3 Cups
- Turmeric powder - ½ Teaspoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Finely chopped chilies - 2
- Finely chopped onions - 1
- Chopped carrot - 1
- Green peas - ½ Cup
- Finely diced bell peppers - ½
- Curry leaves - 7
- Urad Dal (Split Black gram) - 1 Teaspoon
- Oil - 2 Teaspoons
- Mustard seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Lemon juice - 1 Tablespoon
- Grated coconut for garnishing - 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing - 1 Tablespoon
How to Make Oats Upma
Step 1: Heat oil in a pan, add oats, half of the turmeric, salt and green chilies and roast for about 5 minutes or till the oats turn light brown.
Step 2: Add some water to the oats, cover them, and let them cook for 5-7 minutes or till they turn soft.
Step 3: Meanwhile in another pan add some more oil and mustard seeds and let them crackle then add urad dal and roast till dal turns a golden brown.
Step 4: Add curry leaves to it, remaining turmeric, onion, and salt to it and sauté until translucent.
Step 5: Then add chopped carrots and peas and cook them for a minute or till carrots turn slightly soft.
Step 6: Add salt and top with bell peppers and once your oats are almost cooked add this vegetable mixture to the oats and cook it again for a minute.
Step 7: Once oats upma is done remove it to a serving bowl and garnish it with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Oats – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Chilies – Check Price
- Carrots – Check Price
- Green peas – Check Price
- Green Bell Pepper – Check Price
- Curry leaves – Check Price
- Urad dal – Check Price
- Oil – Check Price
- Mustard seeds – Check Price
- Lemon juice – Check Price
- Shredded coconut – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price