- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1h 30 min
- Serving: 3 People
- Calories: 2360 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 58.78 g
- Cholesterol Content: 902 mg
- Fat Content: 82.92 g
- Fiber Content: 8.5 g
- Protein Content: 337.17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17.463 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 4398 mg
- Sugar Content: 35.16 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.086 g
Mutton Rogan Josh
Mutton Rogan Josh is an authentic Kashmiri delight. It is best to enjoy during the winter season. It is a deep red spicy lamb curry or mutton dish of Persian origin. In Persian Rogan means oil and Josh mean intense heat. This curry is full of the flavor of spices and oil or ghee. This delicious meat curry is made with spices like dry ginger powder, fennel powder, peppercorns, etc., meat and cooked in a slow cooking method.
Celebrations and special occasions are incomplete without this signature dish. Mutton Rogan Josh is one of the popular meat dishes which is loved by everyone. You can make this dish over a weekend lunch or parties or family get together and serve as a main dish; your family and guest will enjoy this recipe. Serve this delicious curry with Sheermal, Naan, Roti, Rice, Biryani, and Raita. Learn how to make mutton rogan josh with step by step recipe guide.
Ingredients of Mutton Rogan Josh Recipe
- Curd - 1 Kg
- Salt - 1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Paprika - 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Fennel powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Dry ginger powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Saffron - 2 Teaspoons
- Milk - 2 Tablespoons
- Meat - 1 Kg
- Water - 100 ml
- Black peppercorns - 15
- Black cardamom - 2 Pods
- Mustard oil - 50 ml
- Dry red chili - 6
- Asafoetida (hing) - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 2 Teaspoons
- Alkanet powder (Ratan Jot powder) - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander leaves for garnishing - 2 Tablespoons
How to Make Mutton Rogan Josh
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, add curd, paprika, cumin powder, salt, dry ginger powder, fennel powder and mix it well and keep it aside.
Step 2: In another bowl, add milk and saffron and mix it well. Soak the saffron for 20-25 minutes.
Step 3: Now, add black peppercorns, black cardamom in the mortar and crush it with the help of pestle.
Step 4: Take a heavy skillet and heat olive oil to it. Then add crushed peppercorns and cardamom, dry red chillies, cumin seeds, asafoetida, alkanet powder (Ratan Jot powder) and mix it well.
Step 5: Now, add mutton to it and cook the mixture for 5-10 minutes over MEDIUM heat.
Step 6: Now, add 100 ml of water to it and stir well.
Step 7: Then add previously prepared curd mixture into the skillet and mix it well.
Step 8: Cover the lid and cook for 30 minutes over MEDIUM heat.
Step 9: Now, open the lid and add saffron milk to it and again cover it with a lid and cook for another 30 minutes on MEDIUM heat.
Step 10: Then open the lid and give it a nice stir and cook for another 5-7 minutes on MEDIUM heat.
Step 11: Once done, garnish delicious mutton rogan josh with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with rice.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Yogurt – Check Price
- Meat (mutton) – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price
- Paprika – Check Price
- Dry ginger powder – Check Price
- Milk – Check Price
- Saffron – Check Price
- Black cardamom – Check Price
- Mustard oil – Check Price
- Dry red chilies – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Alkanet powder (Ratan Jot powder) – Check Price