- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 6 People
- Calories: 667 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 39.33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 57.54 g
- Fiber Content: 12.2 g
- Protein Content: 9.05 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8.856 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 2700 mg
- Sugar Content: 17.01 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.29 g
Khaman Dhokla is a famous Gujarati snacks recipe. Khaman dhokla is made from soaking chana dal and then grind it into a thick paste. Then this mixture is steamed in a dhokla steamer, and you will get yummy, delicious khaman dhokla. Dhokla is eaten in breakfast, snacks or with the main course of lunch or dinner. Below is the step by step guide to make instant khaman dhokla. Learn how to make instant khaman dhokla recipe at home.
Ingredients of Khaman Dhokla Recipe
- Bengal gram (chana dal), soaked overnight - 1 Cup
- Green chilies - 4
- Small piece of ginger - 1
- Vegetable oil - 3 Tablespoons
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Asafoetida - ¼ Teaspoon
- Bicarbonate of soda - ¼ Teaspoon
- For Tempering
- Vegetable oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Mustard seeds (rai) - ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera) - ½ Teaspoon
- Whole dry red chilies - 3
- Curry leaves - 10
- Chopped green coriander - ½ Cup
- Grated coconut - ¾ Tablespoon
How to Make Khaman Dhokla
Step 1: Grind the green chillies and ginger to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
Step 2: Grind the bengal gram coarsely; whisk to incorporate air in it. Keep aside to ferment in a warm place for at least 10 hours or till tiny bubbles appear.
Step 3: Add the oil, salt, asafoetida, bicarbonate of soda and green chilli-ginger paste to the bengal gram paste.
Step 4: Add a little water and whisk the mixture thoroughly once again.
Step 5: Grease a flat stainless steel plate or a baking dish. Spread the mixture to a thickness of 1”. Steam till it’s done. To check if the dish is ready, pierce with a fork. If the fork comes out clean, then the dhokla is ready.
Step 6: Allow to cool, then cut into 1-1 ½” squares.
Step 7: For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and dry red chillies. When they start crackling, add the curry leaves and pour over the dhokla.
Step 8: Serve garnished with coconut and green coriander chutney.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Oil – Check Price
- Chana dal (Split chickpeas) – Check Price
- Green chilies – Check Price
- Ginger – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Mustard seeds – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Dry red chilies – Check Price
- Curry leaves – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price
- Shredded coconut – Check Price