- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 People
- Calories: 2608 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 391.42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 86.31 g
- Fiber Content: 84.7 g
- Protein Content: 101.59 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11.846 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 9544 mg
- Sugar Content: 116.17 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.29 g
Pindi Chana Masala
Pindi Chana Masala is a popular dish from the Punjab state of India. This dish is originated from the Rawalpindi; hence its known as Pindi chana masala. This delicious recipe is made, especially on the Punjabi festivals and special occasions. Chana Pindi is cooked with whole spices along with chickpeas, onion, tomatoes, etc. This north Indian recipe is relished with bhatura or kulcha all over and best to serve in lunch or dinner. This delicious dish is best to serve with vegetable raita, pickles, and onion, which makes the complete meal. Prepare this yummy dish for your guests and family and serve it hot with kulchas or bhaturas.
Ingredients of Pindi Chana Masala Recipe
- Chickpeas - 2 Cups
- Tomaotes - 2
- Rock salt - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Oil - 4 Tablespoons
- Asafoetida (hing) - ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Onion - 1
- Tea leaves - 1 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Tomato for garnishing - 1
- Fried green chilies for garnishing - 2
- For the Paste
- Chopped onion - 1
- Chopped garlic cloves - 6
- Dry red chilies - 5
- Black pepper corns - 3
- Carom seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Pomegranate seeds - 1 Tablespoon
- Cloves - 2
- Black cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 2
- Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
How to Make Pindi Chana Masala
Step 1: In a deep pot, heat oil and add the whole condiments for the paste and fry for 15 seconds on LOW flame.
Step 2: Then add all the vegetables for the paste and fry for 2-3 minutes on MEDIUM flame and the cool it.
Step 3: Now, blend all the ingredients in a grinder till they are smooth. Keep aside.
Step 4: Now, boil 2 cups of water with tea leaves for 2 minutes. Strain.
Step 5: Pressure cook the chickpea in tea water with one tablespoon salt till 3-4 whistles. Drain.
Step 6: Heat oil in the kadhai. Add the asafoetida and onion slices and saute for 4-5 minutes.
Step 7: Add the paste and fry for 5-6 minutes.
Step 8: Then add tomato puree, red chili powder, cumin powder, and salt.
Step 9: Fry for 5-10 minutes and then add boiled chickpea and required water and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 10: Garnish with tomato slices and green chilies and serve hot chana Pindi.
- If pomegranate seeds are not available, you can also use 1 ½ teaspoon dry mango powder.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Chickpeas – Check Price
- Tomatoes – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Oil – Check Price
- Rock salt – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Peppercorns – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Coriander seeds – Check Price
- Cloves – Check Price
- Dry red chilies – Check Price
- Cumin powder – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Tea leaves – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Green chilies – Check Price
- Garlic – Check Price
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – Check Price
- Pomegranate seeds – Check Price
- Black cardamom – Check Price
- Cinnamon sticks – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price