- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 3 People
- Calories: 9229 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 2037.81 g
- Cholesterol Content: 61 mg
- Fat Content: 80.04 g
- Fiber Content: 487.2 g
- Protein Content: 312.29 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 25.253 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 6509 mg
- Sugar Content: 1040.68 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.932 g
Masala Khichdi is a healthy, easy and quick, wholesome and comforting meal made with rice, dal, vegetables, and Indian spices. Masala Khichdi is a perfect dish to enjoy when you feel lazy or wants to enjoy some light food. In the different region of India, this healthy recipe has a different way to make it. Here is the quick recipe for you to fest on!
This delicious khichdi is made with rice, split moong dal, onion, tomato, and different spices. Also, you can add your favourite veggies to it to make it more delightful. You can also make tadka of ghee, mustard seeds, and curry leaves to make it more delicious. Garnish it with some fresh coriander leaves and serve it with curd or buttermilk, papad. Khichdi is comfort food, but you must know how to cook it using the pressure cooker then you can quickly prepare it at home by following this step by step recipe guide.
Ingredients of Masala Khichdi Recipe
- Rice - 150 gm
- Split mung beans - 150 gm
- Water - 550 ml
- Ghee - 2 Tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Bay leaf - 1
- Green cardamom - 2 Pods
- Cinnamon stick - 1 Inch
- Cloves - 3 Pods
- Asafoetida - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Green chilli - 1
- Onions - 80 gm
- Tomato - 150 gm
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garam masala - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Green peas - 60 gm
- Carrot - 60 gm
- Water - 1 Litre
- Coriander for garnishing - 1 Tablespoon
How to Make Masala Khichdi
Step 1: In a bowl, add rice, split mung beans, water and soak them for 10 minutes. Then Drain them and keep it aside.
Step 2: Now, heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, bay leaf, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, and cloves and stir it for 1 - 2 minutes.
Step 3: Now, add asafoetida, ginger garlic paste, and green chilli into the pressure cooker and sauté them for 1 - 2 minutes.
Step 4: Then, add grams onions and fry till translucent.
Step 5: Now, add tomato and sauté till it turns soft and pulpy. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, and salt to it, mix them well and stir it.
Step 6: Then add green peas, carrot to the pressure cooker and cook the veggies for 5-10 minutes.
Step 7: Now add the soaked rice and split mung beans into the veggies and mix them.
Step 8: Add 1-litre water into it and cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook till two whistles.
Step 9: Once it's ready, remove it from the flame and remove the lid and garnish khichdi with fresh coriander leaves.
Step 10: Delicious masala khichdi is prepared to serve. Serve it hot with curd or buttermilk with a fried or roasted papad.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Basmati rice – Check Price
- Green cardamom – Check Price
- Moong dal (Split Green gram) – Check Price
- Garam masala – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Ghee – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Bay leaves – Check Price
- Cinnamon sticks – Check Price
- Cloves – Check Price
- Ginger garlic paste – Check Price
- Green chili – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Tomatoes – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Green peas – Check Price
- Carrots – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price