- Prep Time: 6h 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 People
- Calories: 3273 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 270.24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 227.42 g
- Fiber Content: 17.9 g
- Protein Content: 43.13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 37.372 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 3046 mg
- Sugar Content: 31.71 g
- Trans Fat Content: 1.303 g
Handvo is a traditional Gujarati snack which is usually made from semolina. But in this recipe, we are using rice instead of semolina you can also make the same recipe with semolina. Handvo is a tasty Gujarati cake which is cooked in special handva utensils. If you don’t want to make flour for handva at home, then you can also bring a readymade handva mixture to cook at home. It is made from the mixture of lentils, rice, and buttermilk. It is high in protein and served as a light snack for breakfast with tea or anytime you want to have it. Learn how to make Handvo at home instantly.
Ingredients of Handvo Recipe
- Rice - 250 gm
- Tuvar dal (Pigeon pea) - 150 gm
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Garlic-ginger paste - 1 Tablespoon
- Butter milk - 1 ½ Cups
- Castor sugar - 1 Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- A pinch of asafoeida
- Sesame seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Whole dry red chilies - 3
- Oil - 1 Cup
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
How to Make Handvo
Step 1: Mix rice and tuvar dal and crush it in a grinder and make flour of it.
Step 2: Now, transfer this flour to a bowl, add buttermilk and salt to it and mix it well. Cover it and keep aside to ferment for 6-8 hours.
Step 3: When the mixture fermented add castor sugar, garlic-ginger paste, turmeric powder and mix it.
Step 4: Now take a frying pan and add one tablespoon oil to it and then add mustard seeds.
Step 5: When the mustard seeds crackle, add sesame seeds, asafetida and sauté them for 2-3 minute.
Step 6: Now, in handva utensils, spread the oil.
Step 7: Add the batter to this utensils and then add tempered mixture on it. Now, cover and cook this batter on a SLOW flame for 8-10 minutes until it turns golden brown.
Step 8: Once the handva is ready. Let it cool slightly and then cut it into pieces.
Step 9: Serve this handvo hot with oil.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Mustard seeds – Check Price
- Oil – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Rice – Check Price
- Toor dal – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Ginger garlic paste – Check Price
- Buttermilk – Check Price
- Caster sugar – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Sesame seeds – Check Price
- Dry red chilies – Check Price