- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 5 People
- Calories: 38820 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 7275.86 g
- Cholesterol Content: 36 mg
- Fat Content: 790.96 g
- Fiber Content: 1011.7 g
- Protein Content: 948.06 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 138.93 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 7709 mg
- Sugar Content: 376.63 g
- Trans Fat Content: 3.487 g
Undhiyu is one of the most famous Gujarati cuisines. Undhiyu is widely eaten and made during the winter season with lots of seasonal vegetables. It is a time-consuming recipe, and it requires more time and needs patience, but it’s a very healthy and delicious recipe to try out. Undhiyu is an authentic Gujarati dish made with a variety of vegetables like broad beans, purple yam, potatoes, brinjals, papadi, etc. and fenugreek dumplings, cooked with coconut, garlic and few aromatic spices.
During the winter season, I do prefer to make it as many times as I can. Also, it’s a tradition to make the undhiyu during the Uttarayan festival especially. Traditionally undhiyu is cooked into earthen pots on the LOW flame. The pots are sealed, and all the vegetables and masalas are cooked slowly. Cooking undhiyu in the earthen pots gives the rustic and delicious flavour to the dish.
Today, I am sharing a traditional Gujarati Style undhiyu recipe, which is entirely different than the surti undhiyu. Surti undhiyu is also a very famous kind of recipe but made slightly differently than this undhiyu recipe. Traditionally undhiyu is served with small puris and jalebi. Learn how to make Gujarati Undhiyu at home.
Ingredients of Undhiyu Recipe
- Broad bean - 250 gm
- Purple yam - 250 gm
- Baby potatoes - 100 gm
- Sweet potatoes - 200 gm
- Small brinjals - 100 gm
- Seeds of broad beans - 10 gm
- Methi muthia - 200 gm
- Green chili paste - 1 Tablespoon
- Carom seeds - 1 Tablespoon
- Asafoetida (hing) - 1 Teaspoon
- Sunflower oil - 6 Teaspoon
- For the Paste
- Grated coconut - 3 Tablespoons
- Coriander powder - 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped green garlic leeks - 4 Tablespoons
- Roasted cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Chopped green chili - 5
- Chopped ginger - 1 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander leaves - 1 Cup
- Sugar - 3 Tablespoons
- Lemon juice - 2 Tablespoons
- Curd - 2 Tablespoons
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- For the Muthias
- Semolina - 1 Cup
- Maize flour - 2 Cups
- Bengal gram flour - 1 Cup
- Curd - 1 Cup
- Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Chili paste - 2 Tablespoons
- Finely chopped fenugreek leaves - 2 Cups
- Sugar - 2 Teaspoons
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - ½ Teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying - 3 Cups
How to Make Undhiyu
To Make Muthia:
Step 1: In the bowl, add semolina, maize flour, curd, oil, chilli paste, fenugreek leaves, sugar, salt, turmeric powder and Bengal gram flour and mix them well.
Step 2: Add a little water to it and knead a firm dough from it.
Step 3: Make small balls slightly bigger than the size of the marble and press with fingers to make muthia.
Step 4: In a deep frying pan, heat the oil over MEDIUM heat.
Step 5: Once the oil is appropriately heat, deep fry the muthia on LOW flame till brown.
Step 6: Remove it from the oil and keep aside to cool.
To Make Undhiyu:
Step 1: In a blender add, grated coconut, coriander powder, cumin seeds, green garlic leeks, green chillies, ginger, red chilli powder, coriander leaves, sugar, lemon juice, curd and salt and blend till it becomes smooth. If required also add a little water.
Step 2: Now, make a crisscross slit in the potatoes, brinjals, sweet potatoes and yam. Take care not to separate the segments.
Step 3: Now, stuff the vegetables with the previously made paste and keep the rest of the masala for the later use.
Step 4: Now, in the deep pot, heat the oil and add asafoetida and carom seeds. Add chilli paste and fry for 5-6 seconds.
Step 5: Add broad beans, potatoes, purple yam, sweet potatoes, seeds of broad beans, brinjals and 1 cup of water to it and cook it for 10-15 minutes.
Step 6: Now, add the fried muthias and the remaining masala paste to the vegetables and add 2 cups of hot water to the vegetables.
Step 7: Cook the vegetables over the LOW flame till the oil separates from the vegetables.
Step 8: Serve hot or cold undhiyu with puri.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Broad beans – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Purple yam – Check Price
- Potatoes – Check Price
- Sweet potatoes – Check Price
- Egg plant – Check Price
- Fenugreek seeds – Check Price
- Chili paste – Check Price
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Coriander seeds – Check Price
- Sunflower oil – Check Price
- Coriander powder – Check Price
- Oil – Check Price
- Coconut – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Green chilies – Check Price
- Ginger – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price
- Sugar – Check Price
- Lemon juice – Check Price
- Curd – Check Price
- Semolina – Check Price
- Maize flour – Check Price
- Besan (Chickpea Flour) – Check Price
- Fenugreek leaves – Check Price