- Prep Time: 4h 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 5 People
- Calories: 1029 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 172.42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0 mg
- Fat Content: 28.24 g
- Fiber Content: 24.5 g
- Protein Content: 31.14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.275 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 2463 mg
- Sugar Content: 9.71 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0 g
Appam is very famous as a staple diet food of South India. It is most frequently eaten for breakfast or dinner. But today I am presenting a unique variation of this South Indian staple that is Farali appams. This delicious dish prepared during the fast. These appams are very crispy and mellow. This fasting dish, farali appam make fasting easier and tastier.
Ingredients of Farali Appam Recipe
- Singhare ka atta (Water caltrop) - 3 Tablespoons
- Sama rice (Barnyard millet) - 100 gm
- Ginger-chilli paste - 1 Tablespoon
- Grated lauki (bottle gourd) - ½ cup
- A pinch soda bi-carb
- Roasted peanut coarse powder - 3 Tablespoons
- Cumin seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Sesame seeds - 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped cashew nuts - 1 Tablespoon
- Grated carrot - 1 Tablespoon
- Grated cucumber - 1 Tablespoon
- Boiled & chopped potatoes and yam - 1 Cup
- Red chili powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Rock salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Some coriander leaves
How to Make Farali Appam
Step 1: First of all, rinse the sama rice under running water and soak it for about 3 hours.
Step 2: After 3 hours grind the sama rice and make a coarse paste with using mixture blender.
Step 3: Place this batter of sama into a bowl and add singhare ka atta, roasted peanut powder, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, chopped cashew nuts, diced potato and yam, carrot, cucumber, and coriander leaves. Mix well.
Step 4: Add red chili powder, ginger-chili paste, soda bi-carb, and rock salt to it and again mix well.
Step 5: Heat a paniyaaram pan over MEDIUM heat and grease each dent with a little oil.
Step 6: Pour a spoonful of appam batter in each dent and drizzle oil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until you notice that the top is getting steamed.
Step 7: Turn them over using a spoon to cook other side and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Step 8: Once the appam cooks evenly from both sides, remove the pan from heat.
Step 9: Serve hot with tempered curd and coconut chutney.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Sama rice (Barnyard millet) – Check Price
- Rajgira atta (amaranth flour) – Check Price
- Baking soda – Check Price
- Peanuts – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
Sesame seeds – Check Price
- Cashew nuts – Check Price
- Carrots – Check Price
- Cucumber – Check Price
- Yam – Check Price
- Potatoes – Check Price
- Rock salt – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price