- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 People
- Calories: 763 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 79.73 g
- Cholesterol Content: 102 mg
- Fat Content: 40.81 g
- Fiber Content: 15.7 g
- Protein Content: 26.07 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 23.59 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 3663 mg
- Sugar Content: 33.36 g
- Trans Fat Content: 1.396 g
Dal Hariyali is a combination of different pulses cooked with spinach to give it a green color. Usually urad dal, moong dal is used to cook it. Here “Hariyali” means Green. You can use spinach or Methi leaves to give a green color to this dal. Serve this delicious dal hariyali with steamed rice or serve hot with tandoori roti or as desired.
Ingredients of Dal Hariyali Recipe
- Urad dal - 2 Cups
- Yellow moong dal (split yellow lentil) - 1 Cup
- Ghee - 2 Tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing) - ½ Teaspoon
- Garam masala - ½ Teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Butter - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander leaves for garnishing - 2 Tablespoons
- For the paste
- Spinach - 2 Cups
- Green chilies - 3
- Chopped ginger - 1 Tablespoon
How to Make Dal Hariyali
Step 1: In a pot, add spinach, green chilies, and ginger and boil them in a ½ cup of water for 2-3 minutes. Then blend them in the grinder. Keep aside.
Step 2: In a deep frying pan, heat ghee. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and once they crackle, ass asafoetida.
Step 3: Add the previously made spinach paste and fry it for 5-6 minutes.
Step 4: Now, add garam masala, red chili powder, boiled pulses, water, and salt to it and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. After that again simmer it for 5-6 minutes.
Step 5: Once it’s ready, add butter and coriander leaves to it.
Step 6: Serve hot dal hariyali with steamed rice and paratha.
- You can also add one chopped onion and a garlic clove or garlic paste to make it more delicious.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Urad dal – Check Price
- Moong dal (Split Green gram) – Check Price
- Ghee – Check Price
- Garam masala – Check Price
- Mustard seeds – Check Price
- Asafoetida (hing) – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Butter – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price
- Spinach – Check Price
- Green chilies – Check Price
- Ginger – Check Price