- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 2 People
- Calories: 718 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 103.02 g
- Cholesterol Content: 61 mg
- Fat Content: 27.56 g
- Fiber Content: 18.9 g
- Protein Content: 25.77 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15.132 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 2633 mg
- Sugar Content: 30.72 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.931 g
Dal Fry is a famous Indian curry recipe from Punjab. You can find Dal fry in all over India in restaurants & Dhabas. Dal fry is unique in taste. Dal Fry is cooked with different dals like tuvar dal, chana dal, moong dal & masoor dal and tempered with dry red chilies and various Indian spices.
Dal Fry is easy to cook, and you can make it on the weekend or any particular dinner party. Enjoy this delicious Dal Fry with Chapati, Roti and steamed rice or Jeera rice. Let’s see how to make tempting dal fry at home.
Ingredients of Dal Fry Recipe
- Tuvar Dal (Split Red gram) - 4 Tablespoons
- Chana dal (Bengal Gram) - 3 Tablespoons
- Moong dal (Split Green gram) - 3 Tablespoons
- Masoor Dal (Split Red Lentil) - 3 Tablespoons
- Water - 2 Cups
- Finely chopped tomato - 1
- Finely chopped onion - 1
- Crushed garlic cloves - 4
- Grated ginger - ½ Teaspoon
- Finely chopped green chillies - 2
- Ghee - 2 Tablespoons
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon stick, broken in 2 pieces - 1
- Cumin seed - ½ Teaspoon
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Garam masala - ¼ Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - ¼ Teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Lemon juice - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves - 2 Tablespoons
How to Make Dal Fry
Step 1: In a bowl collect all the dals and wash them.
Step 2: Now, soak them in water for 15 minutes then drain excess water and place the soaked dals in a pressure cooker.
Step 3: Then, add 1 ½ cups of water and salt to it and on MEDIUM flame pressure cook them for 5-6 whistles.
Step 4: Now, switch off the flame and let the pressure cooker cool down.
Step 5: After that in the pan heat the ghee and when it’s heated add cumin seed, dried red chilies, cinnamon stick, and clove. When cumin seeds start spluttering, add chopped onion and sauté it until it turns light brown.
Step 6: Now, add grated ginger, crushed garlic, and chopped green chili and sauté for few seconds.
Step 7: Then add chopped tomatoes and salt to it and cook until tender.
Step 8: When tomatoes are cooked add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Mix it well and cook it for a few seconds.
Step 9: Now, add pressure cooked dals and mix it well and again cook it for a minute.
Step 10: Then add lemon juice to it and remaining water to it and simmer it on HIGH flame for 5 minutes. Stir it in between.
Step 11: Now, switch off the flame and transfer the dal to the serving bowl and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
Step 12: Serve this dal hot with steamed rice.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Toor dal – Check Price
- Chana dal (Split chickpeas) – Check Price
- Moong dal (Split Green gram) – Check Price
- Masoor dal – Check Price
- Garlic – Check Price
- Tomatoes – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Green chili – Check Price
- Salt – Check Price
- Cumin seeds – Check Price
- Ginger – Check Price
- Turmeric powder – Check Price
- Garam masala – Check Price
- Red chili powder – Check Price
- Coriander powder – Check Price
- Coriander leaves – Check Price
- Ghee – Check Price
- Cloves – Check Price
- Cinnamon sticks – Check Price
- Dry red chilies – Check Price
- Lemon juice – Check Price