- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1h 15 min
- Serving: 6 People
- Calories: 5354 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 378.02 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1103 mg
- Fat Content: 149.51 g
- Fiber Content: 41 g
- Protein Content: 442.87 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 32.034 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 8110 mg
- Sugar Content: 95.71 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.026 g
Chicken Cacciatore is a delicious Italian dish. It is easy to make, and your family will love it. This classic chicken recipe is loaded with lots of vegetables, chicken, onion, mushrooms, garlic, bell peppers, and herbs. The use of herbs, wine and vinegar, give an excellent hearty flavour to this delectable classic Italian dish.
Cacciatore, which means “hunter” in Italian, is basically a savoury rustic one-pot stew made with vegetables and chicken. Chicken Cacciatore is a perfect dinner recipe that can be served with rice or pasta. Here is the complete recipe to one pot chicken cacciatore.
Ingredients of Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- Olive oil - 4 Tablespoons
- Chicken pieces - 1.5 Kg
- Onions - 2
- Garlic cloves - 3
- Button mushrooms - 225 gm
- Red wine - 150 ml
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped fresh parsley - 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped fresh oregano - 2 Tablespoons
- Chopped fresh basil - 2 Tablespoons
- Bay leaf - 1
- Canned tomatoes - 450 gm
- Chicken stock - 150 ml
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1 Teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 Teaspoon
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore
Step 1: Heat the oil in a large frying pan and bay lay the chicken pieces, skin side down, in one layer.
Step 2: Cook for 3-4 minutes, then turn each piece over. Continue cooking and turning the chicken portions until well browned all over. Place the chicken portions on a plate. Set aside and keep hot.
Step 3: Add the onions and garlic to the oil and chicken juices in the frying pan. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes, or until they are just beginning to brown.
Step 4: Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 1 minute, stirring continuously. Pour the wine and wine vinegar into the pan and boil rapidly to reduce to about half the original quantity.
Step 5: Add the fresh herbs, bay leaf and tomatoes, stirring well to break up the tomatoes. Stir in the stock and season with pepper and sugar.
Step 6: Return the chicken to the tomato sauce, stir to mix, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked and tender. Serve immediately.
Step 7: Serve with boiled rice or pasta and a mixed salad.
- Use the delicious sauce in this recipe with any other meat of choices, such as pork or turkey.
- Use sliced fresh wild mushrooms in place of button mushrooms.
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken to reduce fat and calories.
Check Price for Ingredients
- Olive oil – Check Price
- Sugar – Check Price
- Chicken stock – Check Price
- Onion – Check Price
- Chicken pieces – Check Price
- Garlic – Check Price
- Button mushrooms – Check Price
- Red wine vinegar – Check Price
- Red wine – Check Price
- Parsley – Check Price
- Oregano – Check Price
- Basil leaves – Check Price
- Black pepper powder – Check Price
- Bay leaves – Check Price
- Canned tomatoes – Check Price